Re: software depending on non-US (was: Re: Hey! Why does everybody love flaming so much? [was: `pure'])

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 07:36:52PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

>  >No.  Contrib gets two types of packages:  Those packages that require
>  >linking with non-free software and those packages that cannot be built
>  >from the source package without installing non-free software.  In theory
> It also gets 100% free software depending on 100% free software but that
> happens to be distributed in non-US because of the moronic laws of your
> country.
> I had to upload c-nocem to contrib and I HATE that.
>
> I'm opening a bug against the policy and I propose that those words in
> 2.1.3:
>
> "non-free", or "non-US"
>
> be replaced by the words:
>
> or "non-free"

This would not suffice. Quoting from 2.1.2:

   In addition, the packages in "main"
     * must not require a package outside of "main" for compilation or
       execution (thus, the package may not declare a "Depends" or
       "Recommends" relationship on a non-main package),

Thus, a package depending on something in non-US couldn't go in main anyhow.

Excluding THE solution (eliminating non-US), the correct solution IMO would
be making US/non-US an orthogonal classification to main/contrib/non-free.
I.e. a main/US, main/non-US, contrib/US, etc.

Ciao, William