Re: libtool's .la files

Hi Marcelo,

On  4 May, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
 > On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 02:15:31PM -0500, Ossama Othman wrote:
 >
 > >    * Reverted my "correction" of the libltdl* package name.  The soname
 > >      of the libltdl libraries is currently 0.1.1, therefore the libltdl
 > >      packages should be named libltdl0.1, according to current Debian
 > >      policy.
 >
 > if the soname is libltdl.so.0.1.1 the package should be called libltdl0.1.1;
 > if, OTOH, the soname is libltdl.so.0 (which is more likely, given libtool
 > generates that kind of sonames), then the package should be called
 > libltdl0

*sigh*
I think I am confusing what the definition of "soname" is.  However, I
believe you are correct.  Looks like I'll have to do another libtool
upload and correct my previous one. :(   Thanks for correcting me.  Much
appreciated.

 > >        - The latest libtool can take advantage of installed libtool
 > >          archive (`*.la') files.  As such, included `libltdl.la' in
 > >          the libltdl0.1-dev package.
 >
 > Interesting point.  There's no policy regarding .la files (no mention of
 > ".la" in policy).  If the .la files are actually useful, policy should be
 > amended.  Ossama?

Indeed.  It was Thomas Tanner, of the libtool team, who pointed out the
usefulness of `.la' files with libtool 1.3a and higher.  At first
glance, it certainly seems like a good thing to install `.la' files in
`-dev' packages.  However, Ben Collins pointed out potential library
directory pollution, which I'll address in my response to his e-mail.
However, right now I'm leaning toward including them in `-dev' packages.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis