libtool's .la files

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 02:15:31PM -0500, Ossama Othman wrote:

>    * Reverted my "correction" of the libltdl* package name.  The soname
>      of the libltdl libraries is currently 0.1.1, therefore the libltdl
>      packages should be named libltdl0.1, according to current Debian
>      policy.

if the soname is libltdl.so.0.1.1 the package should be called libltdl0.1.1;
if, OTOH, the soname is libltdl.so.0 (which is more likely, given libtool
generates that kind of sonames), then the package should be called
libltdl0

>        - The latest libtool can take advantage of installed libtool
>          archive (`*.la') files.  As such, included `libltdl.la' in
>          the libltdl0.1-dev package.

Interesting point.  There's no policy regarding .la files (no mention of
".la" in policy).  If the .la files are actually useful, policy should be
amended.  Ossama?

					Marcelo