Re: /etc/init.d scripts WAS: Re: start-stop-daemon on Debian (fwd)

On 20-Apr-99, 01:05 (CDT), Brock Rozen <brozen@torah.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > And appending doesn't really help. If you assume that you can't trust
> > root's path, then you have to override it, or else you just trade one
> > set of problems ("can't find route") for another ("oops, just found
> > a executable called 'route' in /root/bin, which does something else
> > entirely").
>
> It's not just root's path. What if I have root permissions on my personal
> user? I should be able to run these programs and have them work -- and
> nobody should be able to tell me otherwise.

I have no problem at all telling you that if you have an account with
root privileges, it is your responsibility to make sure that account
has a sane, useful environment. In my *opinion*, if you won't take that
(very small) responsibility, then you shouldn't have root privileges.
It's a very simple syllogism: privilege => responsibility.

> I'm looking at the practical application and the problems of it, rather
> than philosophy. I'm having trouble seeing the problem #1 & 2 that you
> mentioned above. Problem #3 is a philosophical issue which I'm dealing
> with above.

And apart from the philosophy issue, I still don't see any real
techinical/practical benefit. Why do you want to change root's path
in non-standard ways? How many people does this benefit? What is the
justification for me and others to spend the effort (however large)?

Steve