Re: /var/mail vs. /var/spool/mail

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 04:33:29AM -0700, Joel Klecker wrote:
> >I suggest we follow this, leave mailspool in /var/spool/mail and install
> >a symlink from /var/mail.
>
> Whatever is responsible for making the link had better cope with
> /var/mail being a directory and /var/spool/mail being a symlink. All
> my systems have such a setup.

That's why I proposed an implementation.  Some people are going to want
/var/mail and others /var/spool/mail.  /var/mail seems to be the
preference from the standpoint of compatibility however /var/spool/mail
is likely to be around a long time all the same.

New systems IMO should use /var/mail by default.  My system is set that
way by choice now.  However, we have to leave /var/spool/mail alone on
existing systems because it would just be nasty to move it.

* dark greets liw with a small yellow frog.

* liw kisses the frog and watches it transform to a beautiful nerd
  girl, takes her out to ice cream, and lives happily forever after
  with her

<dark> liw: Umm it's too late to have the frog back?