Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 14:04:41 +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> I have received a bug report saying that the /cdrom and /floppy
> directories violate FSSTND (and FHS, I guess).

Looks like it. FSSTND gives an explicit list (that doesn't have /cdrom and
/floppy in it), and says
"Software should never create or require special files or subdirectories in
the root directory.  The Linux filesystem structure provides more than
enough flexibility for any package.  Any package that does occupy a
directory under the root of the filesystem suffers from sheer arrogance."

Arguably, the OS distribution itself isn't a package.

> For historical and convenience reasons, I'm in doubt about removing them
> from base-files. Is it really a good idea?

I don't think so. Please keep them, or consider moving them under /mnt.

Personally, I'd think it would be a good idea to have a /zip in addition to
/floppy.

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch