Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On 13 Apr 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > In article <cistron.19990412150411.A5126@ultra5.wi.leidenuniv.nl>,
> > J.H.M. Dassen <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > >I don't think so. Please keep them, or consider moving them under /mnt.
> > >Personally, I'd think it would be a good idea to have a /zip in addition to
> > >/floppy.
> >
> > I hate cluttered up root directories. The first thing I do is a
> > rmdir /floppy /initrd; rm /vmlinux and all that stuff since 95%
> > of the machines I use don't NEED it.
>
> Well, for the convenience of the user who really dislike them, I suppose
> they should have to be removed, then.

What about those users that do like them but have yet kept quiet? I have
always found these mount points very convenient. It just requires less
typing if you want to mount a floppy disk when the mount point is /floppy
instead of /mnt/floppy. On my system, /mnt is for really temporary mounts
only, like loopback mounts which I use only once or so.

> If base-files do not contain these directories, you can create them
> and base-files would respect them without removing them.
>
> The converse is not true: If base-files contains these directories, you
> can remove them but if you upgrade base-files, they will be created again.

I like this suggestion, but I would like something added to it: please
ask the user where he/she would like these mount points: in / or in /mnt/.

Remco
--
rd1936: 11:45pm  up 23:40,  6 users,  load average: 1.15, 1.16, 1.10