Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

On 13 Apr 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <cistron.19990412150411.A5126@ultra5.wi.leidenuniv.nl>,
> J.H.M. Dassen <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> >I don't think so. Please keep them, or consider moving them under /mnt.
> >Personally, I'd think it would be a good idea to have a /zip in addition to
> >/floppy.
>
> I hate cluttered up root directories. The first thing I do is a
> rmdir /floppy /initrd; rm /vmlinux and all that stuff since 95%
> of the machines I use don't NEED it.

Well, for the convenience of the user who really dislike them, I suppose
they should have to be removed, then.

If base-files do not contain these directories, you can create them
and base-files would respect them without removing them.

The converse is not true: If base-files contains these directories, you
can remove them but if you upgrade base-files, they will be created again.

> I do like your first suggestion though:
>
> /mnt/floppy
> /mnt/floppy2
> /mnt/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom2
> /mnt/dos/a
> /mnt/dos/b
> /mnt/dos/c
> /mnt/zip
>
> .... ad infinitum

Mmm, I dislike this very much...

I think there is a possible compromise here:

Would be ok for you that /cdrom and /floppy are only created on the
initial install?

i.e. The same way /root/.profile and /root/.bashrc are currently handled.
[ See base-files.postinst ].

Thanks.

--
 "b474f19d927b3ca5d8b4298876237a59" (a truly random sig)