Re: general method to set the $PATH

In article <[🔎] 19990403173155.A974@wonderland.linux.it> you write:
>Users' $PATH is set in different places: /etc/profile, /etc/login.defs
>and different programs (login, ssh) read it from different files.
>Should we estabilish a policy on this issue?

Not to mention different shells use different files (eg zsh doesn't use
/etc/profile).

In the past I have seen a proposal for /etc/environment. I would really
like it if you could setup any environment variable here (that can then
be overriden by the users startup file). That way I can also set MAIL,
MAILDIR, and MAILTMP to good values for my Qmail setup as well as insert
/usr/local/bin in everybodies Path without worrying about what files I
may have missed.

Somewhere, just recently, I think I saw a thread where people where
against the idea, because it was incompatable with the rest of Unix. I
strongly disagree. If it is really that important, it should be easy to
enable/disable the mechanism as required.