Re: general method to set the $PATH

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Users' $PATH is set in different places: /etc/profile, /etc/login.defs
> and different programs (login, ssh) read it from different files.
> Should we estabilish a policy on this issue?

The setting of $PATH is a very standard Unix thing. Change the way it's
done and Unix admins will go crazy trying to figure it out. As it is, I
can jump from Solaris to Debian with a grin and a nod, and back, wheras I
rant and rave about the way RedHat does things in a nonstandard way.

My preference would definitely be for no-change.

-Kysh

--
-> 1988 Black Kawasaki EX500 ('Yarf!') <street>
-> FAA licensed private pilot