Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

Marcus Brinkmann writes:

> Yes, there will be a certain degree of compatibility, even binary
> compatibility. But, and this is a big but, we still need our own kernel,
> translators, glibc, and some other low level stuff (network, etc).

Just to complicate things: we really should make it possible to have
multi-platform installations.  On alpha, for example, we have something
called `em86' which permits us to use i386 binaries.  This requires, of
course, that they `see' i386 libraries etc.: only the kernel remains the
alpha one for them...

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, phd, prof.associé  <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~krisrose>
addr. LIP, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 46 Allée d'Italie, F-69364 Lyon 7