Is the dependency rule distribution-wise?

The Debian policy manual states:

   Packages may not depend on packages with lower priority values. If
   this should happen, one of the priority values will have to be
   adapted.

Is this to be considered "distribution-wise"?
i.e. Is this to be applied to hamm, slink, potato, in an independent way?

I ask this because I recently reported a bug (#33413) about the override
file for slink, but it seems we do not agree on the nature of the bug
(which has been closed by the ftp.debian.org maintainers).

I will appreciate any input.

Thanks.

--
 "5eb3519a21f46e8331cc94135e4edafd" (a truly random sig)