Re: Debian 'freeze' task force

On 24-Jan-99, 18:24 (CST), "M.C. Vernon" <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Jules Bean wrote:
> > (What is the difference between debian-qa and debian-testing?)
>
> Testing is finding bugs. QA is fixing them. I'd be interested in this too.

While that is rather amusing description, and may be accurate w.r.t.
what the mailing list members actually *do*, I feel obliged to point
out that QA (quality assurance) is much more than fixing bugs (or even
finding them). Real QA is something that starts during requirements
gathering, and is is heavily involved in functional spec, system
architecture, and high level design (brief justification: many software
development bugs occur *long* before any code is written, and those are
precisely the ones that are hardest to fix.) It is probably time that
Debian *did* have a real QA group. The trouble is trying to apply it to
the kind of distributed individual development that is the way we work.

Steve