Re: Debian 'freeze' task force

On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 08:59:19PM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > Le Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 04:29:38PM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe écrivait:
> > > 	If there were a group that, during freeze, were given the task of
> > > handling difficult looking bugs before they became stale, debian could
> > > possibly begin getting its releases out on time.
> > >
> > > 	I'm just curious, is there such an organization within debian at
> > > this time?
> >
> > Yes and it's called 'Vincent Renardias' (it's just incredible how many
> > NMUs he did in order to correct release critical bugs). :-D
>
> ;)
>
> > More seriously, it might be a good idea but I wonder if such a
> > formalization is necessary. If you want to correct bugs during freeze,
> > just do it (after having announced it to -devel).
>
> I attempted to start a similar thing ~2 yrs ago (the 'Debian QA Group') but
> it mostly failed due to the little time I could spend on it back then and
> lack of interest of most of the other developpers. Maybe it's time to try
> to restart it?
> (But my feeling on this is that 99% of the developpers prefer to spend
> time on their own packages than having to deal with the bugs of other
> developpers' packages.)
>
> 	Cordialement,

I have heard of debian QA, but hadn't really seen it influencing debian in a
major way.
	And, as far as formalization, it is absolutely imperative. What I
have in mind is just an administrated group; someone at the top asks who is
interested in doing what, keeps track of what is being taken care of, and
makes sure nobody is reproducing effort.
	Additionally, as release criticul bugs come up, they should be
tallied among participants who just donate a small amount of their time to
contact the package developer to see if it's being taken care of, and if
not, to investigate a little further to gain some understanding about the
problem.
	This way, instead of a bug report remaining in the rel critical list
for weeks on end with no word, people could be sure it was at least being
investigated and planned for.

	This would benefit greatly from db.debian.org being up and running
with an SSL webserver....

Vincent: if you want to give it another go, I have at least one more person
I know will be an active participant.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca