Re: copyright files in other languages

    KR> Milan Zamazal writes:
    >> Eh?  Sorry, I don't want.  If I made an interesting program with
    >> a license in Czech, would you learn Czech to know usage and
    >> copying conditions?

    KR> I'll hope that some some kind debian developer who knows Czech
    KR> will upload it for me and since I trust debian I'll happily use
    KR> it...

This is not a problem of trust.  DFSG free programs can have many
restrictions and requirements (see GPL).  If I want to distribute
modified work, I need to know about them.  If I don't know about them, I
can't distribute the program and it isn't free software for me.

    KR> If a true need for an English version of the Copyright arises
    KR> then the only legally viable solution is if the upstream author
    KR> herself (maybe with help) translates the license.  That way
    KR> everybody is happy and we don't have to mention any particular
    KR> languages in the policy.

That would be the best solution, however it needn't be always available.

I really can't see anything wrong with a requirement to explain (let's
not say "translate" to avoid confusion with legal translations)
non-English license in English in a Debian package.  There are already
many other requirements on Debian packages for good reasons.

    MS> 	Given that if the copyright is in a language other than
    MS> english, the documentation/operation may require one to be
    MS> conversant in that language as well, the typical user is likel
    MS> to be fluent in the language in question, and even possibly be
    MS> more so in that language than in english itself.

There is no such big problem with non-English documentation, I probably
find this soon and so avoid any danger related with it (*).  However I
can use a program for long term and to become dependent on it before a
need to modify it arises.  Then I can found it's impossible for me to
modify the program only because I can't satisfy free license conditions,
and this is very bad.

BTW, if we think about non-English licenses, we should think about
non-English only descriptions of packages and non-English discussions on
debian-devel, etc.  Is there any requirement to use English in such
places?

I think it is a good requirement to have _basic_ information about
package in English.  This creates a basic mean for information exchange
unification.  Since for almost all computer users English is a total
must, I can't see any big practical problem with it, while I can see big
benefits in it.

(*) Even more, many programs are equipped by default with a very exact
documentation in Common language, often called shortly "C language". :-)

Milan Zamazal