Re: copyright files in other languages

    KR> IMHO we should simply put the French copyright file in the
    KR> distribution...

    >> Should an English translation be required?  Currently a user need
    >> only speak English to decide if a package is free enough for him.

    KR> ...because *requiring* an English distribution is
    KR> discrimination!

No, requiring knowing dozens of languages would be *real* discrimination.

    KR> You are right: this is a bad idea.  Making English canonical is
    KR> what will make the problems pop up: some people will be unhappy
    KR> ("can I no longer make a fully-german Debian derivative?").

There is no restriction on Debian derivatives, isn't it?

    KR> Yes, IMO users who cannot speak the language of the copyright
    KR> file (or the documentation or whatever) will just have to make
    KR> do.

Eh?  Sorry, I don't want.  If I made an interesting program with a
license in Czech, would you learn Czech to know usage and copying
conditions?

I don't want to use any program with no license I can read.  So I'm
against inclusion of programs without license or its translation in
English.

I think requiring inclusion of (at least) unofficial English translation
of non-English license in the package in main is appropriate.  I also
think the original license should be always included in the package of
course.

I'm not against allowing packages without license in English to go into
contrib or non-free.

Milan Zamazal