Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 03:28:02PM +1100, Martin Mitchell wrote:
> > I know dpkg-cross, and it does a good job to work around it. Remember it is
> > a _hack_. It's a hack which works quite good, but it is limited due to
> > "broken" debian/rules and upstream Makefiles.
>
> I'd give it more credit than that, it is more elegant than a cheap hack.

Just that there is no misunderstanding: dpkg-cross will continue to be
essential for successful cross compilation. It may be a good idea to merge
dpkg-cross into dpkg-dev, however, the functionality of dpkg-cross is
absolutely needed, in particular the shlibdeps for the hurd, the
cross-config utility, and the right options so you can sign and upload the
package.

dpkg-cross does most of the work on the cross compilers side. However, it
can do very little about debian/rules files, which is were my suggestions
work. Together, they'll be a stronge tream :)

Marcus