Re: [PROPOSED] Merging the packaging manual and policy packages

Hi,
>>"Robert" == Robert Woodcock <rcw@debian.org> writes:

 Robert> Ok, reading through those a few times, I see that Manoj said in
 Robert> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9809/msg00072.html:

 Robert> "I hope I am not incorrect in assuming that the debian-policy,
 Robert> packaging-manual, and the developers-reference packages constitute
 Robert> the core of the policy documents."

 Robert> According to him this is a proposal.

	It was a statement. It was, in context, part of a move to get
 started with assuming control of the packages that made up the core
 of Debian Policy.

 Robert> Note that it is unseconded, noone ever voted for it, and
 Robert> noone ever objected to it.

	A statement does not need to be seconded (most of yours aren't
 either). And the relevant bit is that there were no objections to the
 statement, or to the further proceedings where control of the Policy
 documents was taken from the previous maintainers and passed to this
 mailing list.

	What do you expect one to do? Ask for a full vote on every
 single darned statement?

 Robert> It also requires the reader to
 Robert> equate "core of the policy documents" with "carrying the
 Robert> weight of policy".

	When I say some thing is the core of Debian Policy, do you not
 think that carries the weight of policy? If the core policy documents
 do not carry theweight of policy, what does?

 Robert> In light of this, I am inclined to agree with Manoj that the
 Robert> packaging manual is policy, although I ask Manoj to use a
 Robert> question next time he wants a group of people to state
 Robert> whether they agree or disagree with something.

	I made a statement. If you disagree, say so.

 Robert> This slight of hand has created quite a bit of confusion

	No sleight of hand involved. I can't help it if you were
 slacking and not paying attention. In a group like this, if you do
 not participate, you miss out in having input. Whining later helps
 little.

 Robert> among developers, especially me. :) Until bug #31645 has been
 Robert> marked as 'done' neither the Policy document nor the
 Robert> Packaging Manual will recognize the Packaging Manual as
 Robert> policy. I never saw a public announcement that a concensus
 Robert> was reached either - surely an addition of 3115 lines of text
 Robert> to policy would have warranted some notice on -devel-announce
 Robert> or at least -devel. Indeed, in your announcements to
 Robert> -devel-announce regarding policy on Oct 30 and Nov 27, you
 Robert> never gave it a mention.

	You are good at playing fast and loose with the truth. The so
 called announcements to -devel-announce are dupload announcements of
 individual packages that comprise the policy. In my mind, the policy
 documents had always consisted of three documents -- and the
 significant part was that one was dropped, rather than that two were
 still included.

 Robert> I can't find anything in a quick search of -devel about any concensus
 Robert> either.

	We do not submit all consensuss on the policy group somewhere
 else.

 Robert> Please don't do this again.

	Unless you propose into policy that all devcisions of the
 policy group be announced elsewhere, this is bound to happen again.

 Robert> Ok, I apologize. You were not rewriting history, you were
 Robert> just writing it without any input. :)

	Someone has to do the work, sometime, or else nothing gets
 done. ;-)

 Robert> Bottom line, I no longer have any objections about people claiming the
 Robert> Packaging Manual to be part of Policy.

	Thank you.

	manoj
--
 I'm still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>