Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

Hi,
>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 Jules> My gut instincts tell me that encouraging people to use
 Jules> dpkg-buildpackage is *good* since this means we can
 Jules> incorporate future ideas like this one directly there.

	I still think that the functionality should be pulled out, and
 dpkg-buildpackage merely invoke the new binary, just so people are
 not straight jacketed into using dpkg-buildpackage if they do not
 want to.

	I would not want this functionality pulled into
 dpkg-buildpackage, and then have dpkg-buildpackage made even more
 complex to allow invocation of other targets; I would rather that one
 be allowed to modify the rules file so that one may call individual
 targets from the rules file directly.

 Jules> We should simply make dpkg-buildpackage more flexible (so
 Jules> that, for example, in the event you don't want a whole build,
 Jules> you can specify a target - if we don't already have this
 Jules> functionality).

	*Chuckle*. Am I the only on here that remembers
 dpkg-buildpackage as a new fangled thing? Traditionally, one did it
 all by hand (invoking the targets in ./debian/rules, I mean). I think
 if one needs to call a few targets, one may invode ./debian/rules
 directly.

	manoj
--
 Wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in
 wonder. Socrates, quoting Plato [Huh?  That's like Johnson quoting