Re: DFSG and GPL -- source retention

Raul Miller wrote:
> I think that if all our mirrors distributed full source, and if apt had
> an option so that it would always download the source for every binary
> it installed, that we would could get by with deleting source at the
> same time we delete the binaries.

This is not a problem.
>From the GPL:

  If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
  access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
  access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
  distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
  compelled to copy the source along with the object code.

We're offering equivalent access.

Richard Braakman