Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> It already has if statements. Richard said he wanted to add some stuff to
> make it more complex. At some point it stops becoming a representation and
> becomes a turing-complete language and then you're no better off than you
> were before.

Agreed.  I think it's a bit on the complicated side already.  I was
answering your question of what was the difference, not suggesting we
indeed use it for the question backend.  He was using it to define
some higher level data structures, something I think we can both agree
shell was not really designed for.

I think that the proposal put forth in Manoj's synopsis is much
simpler, and more tractable than either the shell script mechanism or
the specialty language.

Has anyone looked at Sun's mechanism for automated installs and
distribution of configuration data?  What could we learn/borrow from
that?