Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

>  > What about 1.1 < 1.1--1 ? (ie repeating the - to get the two meanings:
>  > the first as a seperator, the second as a negative-sign). We don't even
>  > have to modify dpkg to do that IIRC..
>
> Hey, could someone please explain what a *negative* meaning would be
> good for ?  I think I already argumented against that earlier in this
> tread (or was it a private mail to Jason ?), but so far I read no
> arguments *in favor of* this.

No, the negative meaning is quite wrong, you simply want a character group
that compares lower than any other. Ie

1.2~pre-1
1.2~pre1-2
1.2~2beta-1
1.2

It's purpose is to fix non-numeric compare orders. I don't recall if this
comes naturally or not, it's a bit early in the morning for that :|

I keep meaning to fix up the compare versions routine, but haven't had the
time. And Ians comment that other scripts might blow up because ~ is not
encouraging - Guy do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jason