Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

Wichert Akkerman writes:
 > Previously Rob Browning wrote:
 > > All that said, I think "-" has problems.  As Jason mentioned, we may
 > > not want to have:
 > >
 > >   1.1 < 1.1-1
 > >
 > > and, as Adrian pointed out, I agree that it is somewhat hard to parse
 > > visually.
 >
 > What about 1.1 < 1.1--1 ? (ie repeating the - to get the two meanings:
 > the first as a seperator, the second as a negative-sign). We don't even
 > have to modify dpkg to do that IIRC..

Hey, could someone please explain what a *negative* meaning would be
good for ?  I think I already argumented against that earlier in this
tread (or was it a private mail to Jason ?), but so far I read no
arguments *in favor of* this.

Now that I'm back, I'll happilly go on summarizing pros and cons, but
that'll still need some input from others ;)

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: