Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

> Whoa.  Are these legal?  Are we sure that it's OK to have an
> underscore *inside* a version, or to have more than one dash within a
> version.  By OK, I don't just mean "does dpkg choke on it".
>
> Perhaps this is OK, but we should be careful.  If we get too liberal
> with our allowable version strings, we may very well wind up painting
> ourselves into the proverbial corner in the future.  The more liberal
> you get, the harder it is to parse things.  Is
> "foo-1.2.2-1.2.3alpha-1" Debian revision "-1" or Debian revision
> "-1.2.3alpha-1"?

I think the ``one underscore, many dashes'' layout must be legal, since we
already have some (libc6-pre2.1-doc_2.0.93-980414-1.deb, it had to be libc6,
didn't it ;)

I do agree that this is confusing and dangerous though, since it took three
tries to get that example right.

>From Debian Packaging Manual - chapter 5 - Version numbering:

  The debian-revision may contain only alphanumerics and the characters +
  and . (plus and full stop).
  dpkg will break the upstream-version and debian-revision apart at the
  last hyphen in the string.

So foo_1.2.2-1.2.3alpha-1 is:

  package:          foo
  upstream version: 1.2.2-1.2.3alpha