RE: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

>  Patrick> I found no mention in the web site's policy manual of
>  Patrick> version numbering.
>
> 	That is because t is in the packaging manual. Debian Policy
>  Manual is a little bit of a misnomer in that policy is actually
>  spread over a number of authoritative documents; the packaging manual
>  being one of them.

Which is why I went on to quote the packaging manual :-)

>  Patrick> If policy is not created/changed to handle this, we are
>  Patrick> doomed to revisit it.
>
> 	I do not think policy need necessarly mandate anything
>  here. It can be left up to the maintianer to use either epochs,
>  suffix previous-version.99.X or something, use pre and release, or
>  use -0pre as they see fit.

Freedom is a wonderful thing.  If the selection of the particular
debian version numbering is left to the maintainer of each package
there is a good possibility of really confusing the users of the
distribution.  In general I am on the side of the maintainer /
developer in user interface issues in free software, but on this
point I believe the *distribution* has an obligation to provide a
consistent method to keep the user informed about updated software.

If the accepted practice is to allow the maintainer the freedom to
solve package version conflicts as they see fit, I believe a policy
statement to that effect is in order.  Such action would also solve
some of the rehashing of the topic. (I still believe the users will
be confused by the multiple debian versioning schemes that would
evolve from this.)

> 	I still think that pre-releases are not upstrem releases, they
>  are merely Debian maintainers releasing early, releasing often, and
>  the use of the -0 debian revision is legal under current policy;
>  however, if an explicit mention is deemed important, we may move to
>  amend policy to do so.

-0 appears legal under the current policy to me too. :-)

In general I abhor adding another rule. It reminds me of a vacuum
 - it just plain sucks!

Pat