Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Hi,
>>"Philip" == Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

 >> I'm still really vague on what REAL technical objection has been raised to
 >> actually using (oh, horror!) epochs.  Yes, it will remain in the version
 >> number "forever".  So what?  Who cares?  If the epoch reaches 50, who is
 >> going to notice and care?  The reason we use the upstream version numbers is
 >> for recognition.  If they don't fit, we use epochs and be done with it.  The
 >> version numbers are recognisable in the filenames, and dpkg knows which
 >> comes first.  I see that as a good thing.

 Philip> While I've got no objection to epoch's I do object to their
 Philip> premeditated misuse, which I believe is what you are
 Philip> suggesting.

	I think this is where we disagree. I do not think epochs are
 being misused here, though I also believe that epocs are not
 mandated.

 Philip> The ``put the painful bit after the dash in the debian
 Philip> version'' suggestion is no good I'm afraid, because the
 Philip> orig.tar.gz ends up giving the impression that Debian has the
 Philip> release version already, whereas it's just the pre-release
 Philip> version with a bogus name.

	Well, yes, the source file does do that. The .deb files do
 too, unless one is aware that the -0pre means a pre-release.

	Ulp. I had not considered the source dist, and maybe we
 should.

	In balance, 2.0.7.99.1 seems to be the least kludgey.

	manoj
--
 "An open mind has but one disadvantage: it collects dirt." a saying
 at RPI