Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:
>  I still don't want to compile mico twice.
>  I still don't want to compile mico twice.
>
> And I do want to provide the Qt-CORBA interface.  (I want to build
> some services that work from both Gnome and KDE - a step towards
> merging them, if you will, which is not wrong-headed)

I'm confused.

You've specified that the qt configuration bit only affects a few files.

If this is really true, it seems like you could build mico without qt
configured, take a snapshot of file time stamps, reconfigure it so that
it supports qt, re-apply the time stamps, then conclude the build.

Here's an untested script to do snapshotting (the result is a perl
script to run to restore file time stamps). Tweak as necessary.

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "#!/usr/bin/perl\n";
for (`find . -type f -print`) {
	my ($atime, $mtime)= (stat)[8,9];
	print "-f \"$_\" && utime $atime, $mtime, \"$_\";\n";
}

If this isn't workable, then the change is more pervasive than you've
suggested, and we'd need to understand it better before including in main
the result of building with qt enabled.  (For example, if there is some
small set of files that would need to be deleted and rebuilt to enable qt
support -- obviously, we'd want the versions without qt support in main,
and the versions with qt support in non-free.)

--
Raul