Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:

> Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>
> > Of course, in reality, none of the ports is building only the "main"
> > part of the Debian - they are also building the "contrib" and
> > "non-free" parts..
>
> What reality are *you* living in?  Not one I recognize.  I know that
> several (of the tiny numbers of the m68k maintainers) share my
> sentiments of not wanting to waste time on non-free or contrib while
> main is unfinished, I'm fairly sure Chris (alpha) has expressed a
> similar attitude to me in the past.  I don't see many uploads by the
> sparc or powerpc people of non-free stuff either.  There are a
> minority of m68k maintainers who compile the occasional thing from
> non-free or contrib, but they are a) in the minority and b) spend the
> vast majority of their time on main.

Oops, sorry.  I do live in an i386 reality, unfortunately, and I've
made some wrong statements.  The nice thing about a public forum like
this is that I'll be corrected when I'm wrong.  :-)

I read everything you wrote, and I've go to reluctantly agree that I
misunderstood things.

So I withdraw my proposed amendment.

Which brings me to:

 I still don't want to compile mico twice.
 I still don't want to compile mico twice.

And I do want to provide the Qt-CORBA interface.  (I want to build
some services that work from both Gnome and KDE - a step towards
merging them, if you will, which is not wrong-headed)

Here's a middle ground solution:

   Have an optional "debconfigure" script that would be run before
   running dpkg-buildpackage.  You would pass options to it, and it
   would generate the appropriate debian/rules file.

   The default (with no options) would be to generate a debian/rules
   that only built packages for main.  Passing it options of
   --contrib or --non-free would enable building of packages for those
   distributions.

   I'm already using a debconfigure script for the Gnome packages I'm
   building.  I run it with no options, and it generates a debian/rules
   (which I include in the upload).  Alternatively, I specify different
   options, and I can make snapshot packages that install into different
   locations and have different names.

How does that sound?

It's a bit of a radical change though.  That's why I thought I'd try
to see if the simple policy change would fly first (but it didn't).

Cheers,

 - Jim