Re: /var/mail back to /var/spool/mail

tytso@mit.edu <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> and creating the symlink right away should work just fine.  If they
> aren't on the same filesystem, the easist way to do the upgrade is to
> install a self-deleting script in /etc/rc.d/init.d which moves the
> directory and then installs the compatibility symlink.  That way the

Just be careful to not hose the system if there's not enough space.

> The reason for going to /var/mail is to compatible with the other Unix
> systems in the world.  Getting rid of #ifdef Linux in people's programs
> is a *good* thing.

Note that a symlink is perfectly adequate for this end.

So far I see one storage management argument for /var/spool/mail/ and
one compatibility argument for having mail accessible at /var/mail/.
This looks like a strong case for a symlink to me.

--
Raul