Re: /var/mail back to /var/spool/mail

On Fri, 29 May 1998 19:26:43 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Quinlan wrote:
>Anyway, given the current circumstances and who is and isn't going to
>be following FHS, changing it back to /var/spool/mail seems reasonable
>and possible.

Jeez guys, you sure are verbose on this. After clearing up some of the 1500
messages I had waiting for me I stumble into more traffic than FHS has had all
year.

So let me just jump in here with my take on the matter.

1. Saying that the move to /var/mail can be solved with a symlink is wrong.

	The FHS states that the old location needs to be replaced with the
symlink and the files moved to the new location. This makes an upgrade
impossible where daemons (notably sendmail) are concerned.

2. Saying that /var/spool/mail is wrong because it isn't used as a spool is
wrong.

	/var/spool/mail is used as a spool by everyone that uses POP or IMAP.
In addition most local clients treat it as such.

3. There isn't a good reason to go to /var/mail.

	Other than trying to appease a smaller number of users into respecting
the FHS the previous standard and one which people will continue to use for
some time is going to be /var/spool/mail.

--
                Bryan C. Andregg * <bandregg@redhat.com> * Red Hat Software

"Hey, wait a minute, you clowns are on dope!"
	-- Owen Cheese in 'Shakes the Clown'