What's the status coexistance between egcs and gcc packages?

(I had a hard time deciding if this was -devel or -policy material.)

The changelog for egcc claims it's now the standard for Debian.  Is
that true?  I'm asking because I need it here for other projects, and
I want to know how that can/should interact with building my Debian
packges.

Is it OK to compile Debian packages with egcs now?  Also if egcs is
now the standard, then shouldn't it provide /usr/bin/gcc, or are we
supposed to just stick calling cc?  If the latter, then why does the
egcs C++ package provide g++?

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>