Re: [OT] "government"

As some who has complained about overproceduralizing before, I'm a
little shocked by what seems to be ad hominom attacks and a lack of
understanding about the way we do things.

Let me start by saying that since the Ian Murdock days (or later), it
has been Debian Policy which has made us more than a gaggle of cats.
Without the definitions, standards, requirements, and terms of Debian
Policy, Debian would lack coherence, vision, and real integration.
This is important because I think the same process of standardizing
ourselves is what the current "wave" of proceduralization is about.

> Scott McDermott <vaxerdec@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>> Not true. What's being set up is a system that fulfills its own
>> prophecy. People will cite rules and regulations now instead of
>> resolving things socially. But I can't suggest a better way to do
>> it either so...

Either you're talking about the constitution, or you're talking about
our Policy editing guidelines.  If you're talking about the
Constitution, you're misguided since the conflict resolution
procedures in the Constitution are specifically for the cases when the
*standard* ways of resolving conflicts (flame wars, email debate into
exhaustion, etc.) hav failed, and no clear consensus has been arrived
at.

If your talking about Policy editing guidelines, there *aren't* any
rules or regulations, just guidelines about how a proposal should move
through the process.  The whole thing was put into place to open up
the process of getting Policy changed.  Clearly, standardization of
this process was required for this to be done.

Finally, Scott, I defy you to find a *single* instance when
particpants have resorted to subterfuge or legalistic sophistry rather
than a frank debate among peers?

Of course, we welcome debate and critique.  Specific references,
cases, precendents, and examples would help your arguments greatly.
There is a danger that we go too far (just as there's a danger that we
don't go far enough); I think debate helps us find the middle way.