DFSG and GPL -- source retention

One issue that's come up:  we're currently doing nothing to guarantee
that we're distributing source for three years after binaries have been
shipped on GPLed code.

In my opinion, this is a policy matter.

We should probably tag packages with a source retention clause in their
license (with the duration required), and we should have a policy which
somehow guarantees that this requirement is met.  [There will obviously
be technical issues, too, once we have the policy nailed down.]

But I'm unsure just how much detail needs to go into policy.  Opinions?

--
Raul