Re: Fixes (in terms of bugs)

> In article <[🔎] 19981125162443.E1091@cs.leidenuniv.nl>, Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
> > [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] (major crosspost)
> > Previously Julian Gilbey wrote:
> >> See my other mail to this list -- this is what release quite
> >> happily does, and its man page doesn't say anything about it being
> >> evil.  Where would I (as a new maintainer) have found out that this
> >> behaviour is evil, if this hadn't come up?  I haven't seen it in
> >> the docs.
>
> > Good question. I should be in the the policy imho, but apparently it
> > is not in there.
>
> Julien should just file a bug.  Maybe an important bug.
>
> > Anyone in -policy feel like adding this?
>
> It's documented in the Developer's Reference, but no, it doesn't have
> the official weight of policy.
>
> But after all, why bother changing Policy when it might be easier just
> to patch dinstall to close bugs on installation into the archive?

I'm not going to file a bug report at the moment.  I think that my
next major project after clearing any release critical bugs in
devscripts will be to read through the correspondence on the -devel
list about bug closing and upload reporting in dinstall, mail my
intentions to -devel, and if I receive a go-ahead from there, then
write a patch for dinstall to implement the new behaviour.

   Julian

            Julian Gilbey             Email: J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
       Dept of Mathematical Sciences, Queen Mary & Westfield College,
                  Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, ENGLAND
      -*- Finger jdg@goedel.maths.qmw.ac.uk for my PGP public key. -*-