Re: Proposal (restricted packages)

john@dhh.gt.org writes:
 > Oliver Elphick writes:
 > > We need a database keyed on country code, that will contain flags
 > > for certain conditions.  The ones I can think of at present are
 >
 > > no import: (Germany - certain games)
 > > no export: (USA - encryption)
 > > no use:    (France, Russia - encryption)
 > > patent:    (USA - RSA and others), expires: <date>
 >
 > Why does the transport software need to know anything more than what
 > borders the package is forbidden to cross and in which direction?  The
 > details can go in a 'Restrictions' file in /usr/doc/<package>.

Well, "no use" has nothing to do with "no import".  I don't know about
crypto import into France, but we had a similar case with modems some
time ago: we could even buy, and many stores sold non-homologated
modems, but we had no right of using them in France.  Such hardware
was labeled "for export only".  Nice, eh ?

In short: if we're going to build a *general* framework, Oliver's
suggestion suits me fine.

--
Yann Dirson                         | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
               <ydirson@mygale.org> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: