Re: Mangling other people's code

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Does the policy list think it would be a good idea to add a piece to
> the policy manual asking maintainers who inherit a package and
> uploaders of NMU's not to change the layout, structure or style of the
> source code unless it is really necessary ?

NMU's, yes. In fact, policy already says this.

Inherited packages, certianly not! I just replied to get this example in --
when I took over alien from Christoph Lameter, I completly rewrote it,
making it capable of 3 times as many conversions in the process. If this
rule you propose were in effect, alien would still be a rather hackish shell
script, as oposed to clean object oriented perl code, and would have 1/3 the
functionality it has now.

--
see shy jo