Re: Mangling other people's code

Hi
>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> The second case was debiandoc-sgml, where the current maintainer or
 Ian> one of their predecessors (I gave the package away) has completely
 Ian> changed the layout of the code in the backends.

	Pardon me, you gave away the package. The new owner/author can
 do whatever they please with the source; since they ``own'' the
 code. It may even be arrogant to assume that they slavishly retain
 whatever style the previous author had, unless they so decide.

	When I am the current author/ prime maintainer of a piece of
 code (what we used to call owning the code), than it is mine to
 format as I wish, and if you want to add to it, you had better conform
 to the authrs wishes. No matter who you are.

 Ian> Does the policy list think it would be a good idea to add a piece to
 Ian> the policy manual asking maintainers who inherit a package and
 Ian> uploaders of NMU's not to change the layout, structure or style of the
 Ian> source code unless it is really necessary ?

	I agree with the NMU bit. Any NMU should be a minimal
 modification for the purpose of fixing bugs or updating the package
 (or whatever the stated reason for the NMU is).

	I would object to any restrictions of the rights of the
 current owner of the code.

	manoj
--
 Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school
 of genius.