Re: Mangling other people's code

ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) writes:

> The first case was dpkg, whose build system has been replaced with a
> fragile Byzantine monstrosity which depends on libtool and automake
> and is the source of several bug reports.  Also, a directory was
> renamed without rhyme or reason !  I intend (when I have some tuits)
> to undo all that and go back to the previous arrangements.
>
> The second case was debiandoc-sgml, where the current maintainer or
> one of their predecessors (I gave the package away) has completely
> changed the layout of the code in the backends.
>
> Does the policy list think it would be a good idea to add a piece to
> the policy manual asking maintainers who inherit a package and
> uploaders of NMU's not to change the layout, structure or style of the
> source code unless it is really necessary ?

I strongly object. If you are the upstream author, it is up to you
to maintain the code base the way you see fit. If you stop developing,
and leave the maintenance of your code to someone else, they should be
able to use the tools with which they can best maintain the package.

I would suggest you keep in closer contact with package maintainers for
your code, especially if there is some chance that you might want to
maintain it in the future. Then you may explain your reasons and rationale
for the structure, and also request that they leave it largely unchanged.

I don't think it should be specified in the policy manual.

	Martin.

BTW, the libtool/automake stuff might be helpful for porting dpkg to
non-linux systems. automake works for many GNU packages, surely it is
better to fix the bugs than go back to the old system?