Re: Mangling other people's code

ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Ian Jackson) writes:
> Does the policy list think it would be a good idea to add a piece to
> the policy manual asking maintainers who inherit a package and
> uploaders of NMU's not to change the layout, structure or style of the
> source code unless it is really necessary ?

I understand your unhappiness---all I can say is that when I did
maintenance, I touched as little as possible.  I did have some plans
to reorganize things, but in the direction of more simplicity.

As to putting something in policy, I'm sceptical---what real effect
will it have?  The people need to be told are least likely to pay
attention to it.

This does bring up one thing, though---can we look at transitioning
away from debiandoc-sgml to something more standard, like docbook?
The backends in the latest sgmltools are supposed to be much more
sophisticated and produce better output than the old linuxdoc-sgml
stuff, and as I remember it, that was your primary reason for creating
debiandoc-sgml.

Mike.