Re: Proposal

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 11:20:11PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Although it is out of context, let me quote something from the social
> contract I feel appropriate here:
>
>   We Won't Hide Problems

How do you equate removing packages from the distribution that cannot be
installed as is to a 'problem'? If anything, it is a problem having
packages in a distribution that cannot be install with out the user
getting some things on their own, to new users this is a royal pain in the
ass.

Not hiding problems doesn't mean not fixing them.

Imagine if you were installing Solaris, and you got into the nifty gui
install and started going thru the software and you see this nice program
you want install....click it....pop....a screen comes up telling you that
that software needs a package which you do not have and to go to the ftp
site to get it....and oh yeah, you probably wont be able to get it
legally...."wait a second"..."my system isn't even setup yet and they want
ME to go and get a package so that this program works? WTF!?"

If they have a CD/install of some kind that is missing a restricted
library we should not asume that they can go and get it, since that is why
it is restricted in the first place, hence, if it depends on something not
there, leave it out. Now if it suggest the restricted package, I don't see
that as a serious problem, but depends is something else.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org