Re: Proposal

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 02:32:04AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> I am not sure I like this. This actually makes it harder for people to get
> the software, not easier. Wouldn't it be better to let the front-end handle
> such cases? It could inform the user that he needs this and that lib that is
> restricted here and there. If the user sees the possibility, he could point
> apt to more sources (for example, if the package is not import restricted,
> only export restricted), and the dependencies are fulfilled.

He/she could also say, "man, this debian thing is broke, all the packages
aren't even there. I can't install package xxx because i don't have this
lib. now they want me to go get it myself, and something about it being
possibly illegal or restricted in my country, what gives?"

I'd rather them not even know and have a seemingly complete install than
think that the system is broken. If they know enough about that certain
package to want it, I'm sure they will find the README quite informative
on where to find it.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org