Re: [bmc@it.larc.nasa.gov: Proposal]

***** BC => Ben Collins

BC> This is a proposal for a better system to handle 'restricted'
BC> packages (currently non-US). I sent this to here so as to avoid
BC> the nonsense that sometimes intermixes on the developers list with
BC> legitimate posts. If it is recieved well then I planned to forward
BC> it to the dpkg and ftp lists as well for consideration.

I feel the site layout should be the other way round.

Please, see <87k90vikfm.fsf@hal.olympus.fake> on debian-devel to see
why.

Shortly, I propose to create special trees for special countries (like
US, FR, and the like), which are likely to be few, filled with
symlinks to only those packages of the full Debian allowed in those
country.

This has the advantage of making evident which packages each country
is allowed to have on its mirrors (most countries will have the full
Debian, while a few restricted ones will have their appropriately
restricted Debian).  Moreover, it has the conceptual advantage of
making evident that Debian includes all of the free packages,
regardless of their specific restrictions.

Ben, please, consider the points above and merge them with your
proposal if you feel like it.

Thanks,

Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://salve.home.ml.org/>
Have a look at Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org/>.