Re: keeping a fixed bug fixed (was Re: proving a bug is gone)

Hi

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 >> Writing regression tests for real is a hard, painstaking effort,
 >> often requiring intimate knowledge of the code, and often needs to be
 >> tied up with the code itself, changing as the source changes.

 Raul> I'm not talking about a complete regression test suite here.
 Raul> I'm talking about simple test cases.  If the code dumps core
 Raul> under some condition, reproduce the condition and see if it
 Raul> still dumps core.  If it's not easy to write a test, put it on
 Raul> a checklist and punt the issue for later.

	Not all bugs produce a checklistable item.

 Raul> Originally, I was thinking that the hard tests would be
 Raul> relatively rare, so that when you couldn't write a test you
 Raul> should call attention to the case.  However a number of people
 Raul> have said that that's not the way things are -- so I'm happy
 Raul> with putting the case on a manual checklist.

 Raul> I don't think that putting the test case on a checklist is such a
 Raul> difficult task that the bug should be closed without updating the list.

 Raul> The only exception I can see is where the bug can't be reproduced at
 Raul> all.  And I'm wondering if we ought to have a special way of closing
 Raul> those kinds of bug reports [to enable later analysis].

	Let us see how relevant this is Here are my list of resolved
 bugs. Let us see..

  29 bug reports.
   2 cases whre reproducers were possible, one whereit is available
   6 possible test, with 3 being noted as tricky
  23 cases where one could put thinkgs on a checklist, 9 cases where it
     just clutters things up. Therefore only 14 out of 29 cases that even
     a checklist makes sense.

	That is less than 50% of my closed cases warrant even a
 checklist item

	No, I strongly object to bureaucratic junk required just to
 close bugs, given that not all cases could one even create a
 checklist item.

	manoj

       #25609: Gnus: prerm script failure make it impossible to upgrade/pruge
       Package: gnus; Severity: important; Reported by: Manoj
       Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   rewrote scripts totally.
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  What do we checklist? That the old scripts have not come
             back?

       #23313: psgml (xml-mode) can't parse xml:space, other xml.* tags
       Package: psgml; Reported by: Mark Eichin
       <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:    New upstream release
 Test:        Umm, Dunno how to write one
 Reproducer: maybe a document on which it fails could be provided. I
             don't have one.
 Checklist:  I guess. Especially if we get a reproducer.

       #25585: gnus depends on xemacs20, but xemacs20 doesn't exist
       Package: gnus; Reported by: Matthias Klose
       <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   Emacs20 now available
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #26215: Bug? in libcgi-perl
       Package: libcgi-perl; Reported by: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   Rewrote function
 Reproducer: yes
 Test:       yes
 Checklist:  yes

       #26536: gnus: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/gnus
                     should return 0 if it does nothing
       Package: gnus; Reported by: phil@hands.com; Done: Manoj
       Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   Added a return 0
 Reproducer: not applicable
 Test:       I guess so but is tricky,
 Checklist:  One could, but it would only clutter up the real tests

       #26843: kernel-package: FLAVOUR not checking for UPPER CASE (not allowed in pkg names)
       Package: kernel-package; Reported by: <tbittih@pal.xgw.fi>;
       Done: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   converted t lower case
 Reproducer: not applicable
 Test:       Umm, not easy.
 Checklist:  Yes.

       #27186: pkg-order: pkg-deptree can't handle "libstdc++2.8"
       Package: pkg-order; Reported by: Richard Braakman
       <dark@xs4all.nl>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   pilot error
 Reproducer: not applicable
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #27311: kernel-package: flavours code broken
       Package: kernel-package; Reported by: Jonathan H N Chin
       <jhnc@pfaff.newton.cam.ac.uk>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   rewrote code
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  I guess.

       #27450: latex2html: problem with -html_version 3.2,math
       Package: latex2html; Reported by: <kevind@rahul.net>; Done:
       Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   pilot error
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #27521: psgml: Should psgml pre-depend on autoconf?
       Package: psgml; Reported by: ssm@debian.org; Done: Manoj
       Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   run autoconf on machine before packaging
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  I guess?

       #27610: latex2html cannot be installed non-interactively
       Package: latex2html; Reported by:
       Roman.Hodek@informatik.uni-erlangen.de; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   Made install not ask question
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  One could, but it clutters up the checking process

       #27750: sgml-current-element-name should be buffer-local
       Package: psgml; Reported by: Kalle Niemitalo
       <tosi@ees2.oulu.fi>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   already in new upstream version
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       not easy, but doable, I think
 Checklist:  yes

       #27842: cvs-buildpackage: use of /tmp/*$$* in an insecure fashion
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: James Troup
       <james@nocrew.org>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   rewrote code
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  yes

       #27937: kernel-package: syntax error
       Package: kernel-package; Reported by: <cowboy@vnet.ibm.com>;
       Done: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   fixed code
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       yes
 Checklist:  yes

       #28451: cvs-buildpackage: README seems to be wrong
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: "Marcelo E. Magallon"
       <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   rewrote docs
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  One could, but it clutters up the checking process

       #28452: cvs-buildpackage: spell check
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: "Marcelo E. Magallon"
       <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   fixed
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #28459: cvs-inject(1) typo
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: "Marcelo E. Magallon"
       <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   fixed
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  One could, but it clutters up the checking process

       #28460: conf_prefix not documented in cvsdeb.conf
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: "Marcelo E. Magallon"
       <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   added docs
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  One could, but it clutters up the checking process

       #28461: cvs-upgrade acts funny without a debian revision
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: "Marcelo E. Magallon"
       <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   pilot error
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #28535: kernel-source-2.0.35: suddenly ships with tarball rather than /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.35/
       Package: kernel-package; Reported by: apharris@onShore.com;
       Done: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   not a bug, added docs
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #28536: typo in cvsdeb.conf(5)
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: <mmagallo@jacinta>;
       Done: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   fixed
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  One could, but it clutters up the checking process

       #28723: Make and globbing (alpha)
       Package: make; Reported by: Jason Gunthorpe
       <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
       #28724: Make and globbing (alpha)
       Package: make; Reported by: Christopher C Chimelis
       <chris@classnet.med.miami.edu>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   added patch
 Reproducer: yes
 Test:       yes
 Checklist:  yes

       #28755: obsolete doc ?
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: Zane Lewkowicz
       <zooko@xs4all.nl>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   Not obsolete
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #28760: cvs-buildpackage vs. liblockfile0
       Package: cvs-buildpackage; Reported by: Zane Lewkowicz
       <zooko@xs4all.nl>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   not a bug
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #28992: make-3.77-3: HAVE_GLOB_H is broken on powerpc
       Package: make; Reported by: Hartmut Koptein
       <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   not a bug
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  no

       #27289: kernel-package could use a nicer prompt
       Package: kernel-package; Severity: wishlist; Reported by:
       joey@infodrom.north.de (Martin Schulze); Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   changed code
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  yes

       #27390: latex2html: pnmtopng does exist now
       Package: latex2html; Severity: wishlist; Reported by:
       <reiter@forest.bofh.asn.au>; Done: Manoj Srivastava
       <srivasta@datasync.com>.
 Solution:   changed behaviour
 Reproducer: no
 Test:       no
 Checklist:  yes

       #28514: gnus: postinst is way way too verbose
       Package: gnus; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: James Troup

--
 Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle. Michelangelo