RE: It is ok to have a hardcoded Depends: libc6-dev ?

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> > So: It is ok that a package depends on libc6-dev in a hardcoded way,
> > should that package depend on "libc-dev" instead, or is there (or
> > should be) any other way to do this in an elegant way?
>
> Santiago, my understanding is that -dev depends is on the wishlist.  There is
> no equivalent for the shlibs.  I had problems while maintaining Imlib because
> of this.  You have to list all the -dev's yourself.

I know there is not shlibs equivalent for -dev packages.

But I'm still in doubt about the need of a depends line at all.

Let's say that you have libfoo installed and you want to compile something
with libfoo-dev.

To compile *anything*, you will need libc6-dev anyway, so what is the
purpose of libfoo-dev depending on libc6-dev?

--
 "691db1ffb2205a0f7be10e5db4f7b082" (a truly random sig)