Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 05:36:44PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > It's by far the simplest MTA configuration I have ever worked with (and
> > that is old sendmail (sendmail.cf, no M4), smail, and exim.
>
> I've always found exim's configuration to be formidable. It is
> configurable but not easially configurable. You do have the read the (very
> long) documents detailing the mechanics for what is going on and have to
> understand them before you can attempt anything more than a trivial
> modification.
>
> After that it is not terribly bad.. But definately not something I would
> wish on someone who does not understand mail.

For the average user they will see and use eximconfig.  Perhaps a suggestion
that eximconfig be modified to turn of freezing mail by default or
something...  Someone should (I'm not volunteering) write a quick ref for
the common config options..  The docs are good, but they could be better and
they could use hyperlinks more liberally IMO.

> qmail is definately the easiest to setup there is no configuration
> language you need to learn. However if you want to do anything outside of
> what is provided then you have to start writing scripts/code/whatever.
>
> I haven't looked at vmail but I'm hoping it's much the same as qmail..

vmailer is easy to configure and you don't have to resort to IMO cheap hacks
to make it do anyting beyond the basics like you must with qmail.

qmail cannot be Debian's default mailer, you know that as well as I do.  =>

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.