Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

On Tue, 27 October 1998 17:36:44 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I've always found exim's configuration to be formidable. It is
> configurable but not easially configurable. You do have the read the (very
> long) documents detailing the mechanics for what is going on and have to
> understand them before you can attempt anything more than a trivial
> modification.

Not quite, IMHO.
I worked a lot with Smail before and once you get the difference between
router and director, it all works. It took me one hour to implement rbsmtp
and it worked. I may send some useful transports to Mark Baker, if they're
considered useful..

> After that it is not terribly bad.. But definately not something I would
> wish on someone who does not understand mail.

If you just want to make it work, it's not harder than Smail...
*You* seem to judge from your point of you, but I think the comparison to
make is between Smail (the default right now) and Exim.
Someone who does not understand mail won't have less problems with Smail?

> qmail is definately the easiest to setup there is no configuration
> language you need to learn. However if you want to do anything outside of
> what is provided then you have to start writing scripts/code/whatever.

qmail sux on low-bandwidth/low-volume sites. djb kinda sux. but it works,
it does its job, indeed. but not for debian, right? (license, source-only)

You're moving the discussion from "Exim as default" to "Let's have a look
at what mailers are out there" ...? Does this help?

Alexander

--
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead.  As of this moment, we are all
dead.  We go into battle to reclaim our lives.  This we do gladly, for