Re: RfD: Policy of .sh boot scripts

In article <cistron.19981021232421.A3477@finlandia.infodrom.north.de>,
Martin Schulze  <joey@infodrom.north.de> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> sh script.sh is very different from running it in a subshell with ().
>> For example, bash doesn't really fork a new invocation - it just
>> sets up a new internal environment temporarily. It's a speed optimization.
>
>I didn't learn this.  However it's funny that even sysvinit
>does not use "(sh script)" but only "sh script".  At least the
>version I checked this morning.

That's strange, sysvinit doesn't do that. Perhaps it used to do that,
I cannot remember and do not feel like finding some old archive to check
it out. Right now, it does  ( . script.sh ). But, see also the
article I posted on debian-bugs.

>> I bet the user who reported that bug uses an old sysvinit in which
>> this change wasn't made in /etc/init.d/rcS.
>
>You lost.
>
>The used version of rcS didn't come from sysvinit.

I should have read the bugreport first .. sorry. Hope I don't
owe you too much :)

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.