Re: RfD: Policy of .sh boot scripts

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> sh script.sh is very different from running it in a subshell with ().
> For example, bash doesn't really fork a new invocation - it just
> sets up a new internal environment temporarily. It's a speed optimization.

I didn't learn this.  However it's funny that even sysvinit
does not use "(sh script)" but only "sh script".  At least the
version I checked this morning.

> I'm only taking Solaris as an example, because it works. But I understand
> what you mean. BTW, what's r2d2?

r2d2 is the successor of file-rc from the same author, it's more like
a general unix registry. ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/Linux/source/base/r2d2/

> > Proof for this being not the one and only is one of the latest
> > bugs agains kbd.
>
> I bet the user who reported that bug uses an old sysvinit in which
> this change wasn't made in /etc/init.d/rcS.

You lost.

The used version of rcS didn't come from sysvinit.

Regards,

	Joey

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        - Linus Torvalds