Re: Installing files in user directories

On 20-Oct-98, 11:48 (CDT), Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> The one exception is seeding files for root. Since /root is is
>  already created by the base, and it may have special needs for
>  startupo files (like, it needs to be way more secure), the files in
>  /etc/skel are not used. The base files package creates the minimal
>  files that seed /root, but should never again touch /root.

During initial install, yes. During upgrades, no. And isn't base-files
part of the disk image that's unpacked during the initial install,
anyway? So why not just put the initial /root/.profile in the disk
image, and get it out of base-files completely?

As far as "way more secure", I don't think setting the PATH and
umask really qualify (since umask only affects new file creation).

Regards,
Steve