Re: Shipping .texi sources in binary packages (was: unidentified subject)

Hi,
>>"Santiago" == Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

 Santiago> The purpose of shipping the docs in binary packages is to
 Santiago> made them available to be read, not to be printed.

	And the purpose of the proposed change to Policy is that the
 documentation be available in a format amenable to further
 manipulation, so that it may be coaxed into formats more to the
 liking of the user, or to be printed (I still prefer reading long
 documents on paper)

 Santiago> Do you propose that .sgml replaces .html as our preferred
 Santiago> documentation format in the long run?

	Nope, nothing as radical as that. I just propose that of the
 primary (the preferred for for modification) happens to be sgml (or
 texi, or nroff, or whatever), then that be also available in *some*
 .deb  package .

 Santiago> Do you propose to convert all .texi to .sgml?

	This would not be easy.

	As I said, put the sgml/texi/*roff format documentation, in a
 separate package if need be, and make it available to people who need
 it in non-html.

	manoj

--
 "I got into an elevator at work and this man followed in after
 me... I pushed '1' and he just stood there... I said 'Hi, where you
 going?'  He said, 'Phoenix.'  So I pushed Phoenix.  A few seconds
 later the doors opened, two tumbleweeds blew in... we were in
 downtown Phoenix.  I looked at him and said 'You know, you're the
 kind of guy I want to hang around with.'  We got into his car and
 drove out to his shack in the desert. Then the phone rang.  He said
 'You get it.'  I picked it up and said 'Hello?'... the other side
 said 'Is this Steven Wright?'... I said 'Yes...' The guy said 'Hi,
 I'm Mr. Jones, the student loan director from your bank... It seems
 you have missed your last 17 payments, and the university you
 attended said that they received none of the $17,000 we loaned
 you... we would just like to know what happened to the money?'  I
 said, 'Mr. Jones, I'll give it to you straight.  I gave all of the
 money to my friend Slick, and with it he built a nuclear
 weapon... and I would appreciate it if you never called me again."
 Steven Wright